Sunday, February 06, 2005

Round robins (and mockingbirds)

I'm home this Sunday morning because the hubby took ill. So he's upstairs sleeping the Sleep of The Thera-Flued, and I thought I would peruse the Ortho-blogosphere.

  • This post from Dr. Mark Reynolds includes a fine three-point refutation of the dumb comparison between gay marriage and interracial marriage. I especially liked his last point:
    The great Western religions, one source of knowledge about the world, believe homosexuality is morally wrong. Some forms of religion in the USA believed inter-racial marriage was a sin. There is no comparison between the universal nature of the first belief and the deviant nature of the second. The first belief is grounded in the religious structure of marriage. The second was a foolish prohibition that did not even exist at the time of Jesus Christ.

    It's ridiculous that you even have to argue these points. One of the ploys of the enemies of godliness (of all political and social stripes) is to propose patent nonsense so long that you have to clearly enunciate why it's incorrect. The reason that this turns out to be difficult is that it's inaccurate even to argue about nonsense. The first and best response is to just dismiss it. To go back and forth with it eventually gives it an aura of plausibility.

  • Huw takes time to mess with mockingbirds
    So I whistled. Just one note (in the right key) for two seconds: Tooo!. Then I did it again. Tooo! Nearly instantly I heard the call echoed above in the trees. Tooo! ... Soon the whole flock was bouncing up and down in their touchdown dance. And I was laughing. Tooo! Tooo!Tooo! Tooo! Tooo!Tooo!

    Mischief.

    I formatted a whole flock of mockingbirds with a mockingbird virus.

    Now I want to try that too, or rather Tooo. You can never play too(o) many headgames with our fellow creatures, as far as I'm concerned.


  • Thanks to Orthodixie for pointing to a new Orthodox site I hadn't known about.
    On this coming Sunday, the Russian Orthodox Church celebrates the memory of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia, who were slain by the Communists.

    This sobering account of the attacks against clergy in Russia under Communism. This is grim stuff. But keep it in mind the next time you hear that Ronald Reagan was overstating things when he called the old USSR "an evil empire."


  • Checked into Morning Coffee this morning, which I don't do nearly as often as I should. I was really touched by the courage and the humility of the three posts I read (blogger wouldn't let me link them individually, so you'll just have to read back). I know several people right now who are fighting against chronic pain and two whose illnesses are probably terminal. It's obvious that it changes everything. I could say more, but readers should discover for themselves.
    God is good...and all that wonderful theology that could be discussed will have to be done on someone else's blog. And insightful comments on current events will have to be written by someone else. And re-tellings of exciting excerpts of domestic bliss will need to be found elsewhere.



  • The Catechumen from Oxford talks about dealing with the balance between theology and worship.
    So, how can I read theology everyday, discuss it, write papers on it, and think about it for hours on end without getting fed up with it? Sunday. It is that one glorious day each week where all of my theology reading and intellectual pursuit are put aside and I get to pray to God uninhibited by my own stupidity. I am [still] awed by the beauty of the Liturgy, the enveloping chants, the incense, the call and response of the priest to his people.




Amen and amen. Makes me wish that I had been able to make it this Sunday. But Greg is up at last, so it's time for me to see what I can do.

3 Comments:

Blogger E Rica said...

Kinda off topic but i heard something this week that I thought you might appreciate.

"If you can't say something nice about someone. That someone must be Hilary Clinton."

:)

February 10, 2005 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

All right, that's just funny.

February 10, 2005 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger Huw Raphael said...

The birds were outside this morning making that "Tooo" noise. Just a whole bunch of 'em. Very funny.

I've been treating it as God's way to keep me smiling.

February 11, 2005 at 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home