Monday, January 17, 2005

In search of the Religious Left

Well, it was bound to happen. The Democrats are officially trying to crank up the volume on That Old Time Religion.

On Wednesday, the very liberal Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) went to the National Press Club and proclaimed the need for Democrats to talk more about values and said it was useful that a Democratic candidate "talked about God."

And haven't I been saying that I would really love if what came out of the last election was the beginnings of detente between the liberal Democrats and the religious Democrats who have been marginalized and silenced for years? I'm conservative myself, and likely to remain so, but lately I've seen the value in having a healthy opposing viewpoint. Except the liberal left isn't healthy. They've been trying to draw more and more sustenance from less and less substance and seem to be going insane, like someone who has a bag over their face.

I hope that doesn't seem like an unkind metaphor. It might just be wishful thinking. I've been wishing that someone would put a bag over Ted Kennedy's face for many years.

Oh. That really was unkind. Oops. Sorry.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Parson said...

Not unkind at all, Grace. I attended the Inauguration with my two daughters, and at one point the video screen flashed a shot of Teddy Kennedy as he was watching the proceedings. The smirking and face-making was nauseating. I would have welcomed a bag over that smug mug. (And yes, we did ride the Metro, and my daughters were a bit confused when I called it the "tube"!)

January 22, 2005 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

You were there?? Very cool.

I don't think I've ever paid much attention to things like that until the last couple years. The culture tug o' war has served to make me more politically-aware than I had been, and attending an inauguration seems like it would have been really great.

As it was, I was working so much I didn't get to hear the speech. I tuned in in time for the benediction prayer at the end, which I thought was very well done.

So how was it? Oh wait, I bet you blogged about it. Duh. Laziest Web-surfer ever here.

January 23, 2005 at 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home