Sunday, January 30, 2005

Gloating aside

Okay, with great effort I wrest myself away from dancing on the graves of the doom-sayers, because it's worth rising above for just long enough to note the voters of Iraq:

* Threatened with "a blood bath" from the insurgents, they came to vote in the millions
"I am not afraid," said Samir Khalil Ibrahim. "This is like a festival for all Iraqis."

* Instead of keeping a low profile, some wore their festival clothes. They danced. /They shared chocolates. They celebrated.
"This is a wedding for all Iraqis. I congratulate all Iraqis on their newfound freedom and democracy," said Jaida Hamza, dressed in a black Islamic veil that also hid her face.

* Told that anyone with the dyed finger that marked a voter would be shot, they waved them around proudly.
Samir Hassan, 32, who lost his leg in a car bomb blast in October, was determined to vote. "I would have crawled here if I had to. I don't want terrorists to kill other Iraqis like they tried to kill me. Today I am voting for peace," he said, leaning on his metal crutches, determination in his reddened eyes.
We've underestimated them. The left has for sure, but I think the right has as well. (And I did too.)

Baghdad's mayor was overcome with emotion by the turnout of voters at City Hall, where he said thousands were celebrating.

"I cannot describe what I am seeing. It is incredible. This is a vote for the future, for the children, for the rule of law, for humanity, for love," Alaa al-Tamimi told Reuters.




15 Comments:

Blogger Mark G. said...

Hi Grace, stumbled into your blog and stayed a while, because you have a good "voice." Nice writing! Keep it up. (Hope you don't mind taking a compliment from a liberal.)

Hasta la vista! - War Historian

January 30, 2005 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Mark,
Not at all. It's rarity that makes something a gem ;-)

January 30, 2005 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger E Rica said...

Are you still coming to St. Barney's to see Fred Erica Matthewes-Green?

January 31, 2005 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

E Rica:
Definitely! Was it Feb. 28th? We'll go ahead and book our flights. Looking forward to it.

January 31, 2005 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger E Rica said...

Actually it's Saturday February 26th from 9am - 4pm. I'm so excited that you're coming!

February 1, 2005 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 2, 2005 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Greetings, Grace. I too have happened by and stayed awhile. Quality stuff. Godspeed & keep up the good work.

February 3, 2005 at 1:06 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

SW:
Welcome!

February 6, 2005 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hi, I was looking around some blogger blogs for some ideas to start my own on ebooks and you have given me some great ideas. Good blog. I will check it out every week. Thanks

October 5, 2005 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Editor Choice said...

Many Thanks for your nice blog. I will come back.
I wanted just to mention an interesting site about Religions. With more than 500 pages, Religion News and Articles:Religion Universe: Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Taoism (Daoism) and many others

October 11, 2005 at 11:34 PM  
Blogger doer said...

Hello, your blog is great, I also have abible niv online website , hope that it is useful to you. Thanks

October 13, 2005 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 6, 2005 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 10, 2005 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 7, 2006 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger iza roberto iza said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 15, 2007 at 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home