Monday, December 13, 2004

Fools and foolishness

Touchstone mag features this excellent piece by the excellent Frederica Mathewes-Green entitled "Meet your Mocker" where she takes on the difficult subject about appropriate and inappropriate humor for a Christian. The whole article is a must-read, but the following graph ought to be printed out and made into a henna tattoo we can wear around:

When Jesus tells us not to even say "You fool!" to another, when he links malicious anger to the spirit of Murder, we glimpse the darker side of this pleasure. It is deliciously gratifying to see idiots roundly put down, but that sense of gratification is not really one of our better points. And maybe idiots deserve more mercy than that, since that company includes all of us sooner or later. I think of this whenever I hear a Christian smugly say that he or she does not "suffer fools gladly." Well, I think, Jesus suffers you.



8 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Grace
I know I am probably being a bit dim, but for the life of me, I cannot access the article via the Touchstone web site.......search, advanced search...I keep getting dud pages :-)

December 14, 2004 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger E Rica said...

Ouch. but but but sorry Jesus!

December 14, 2004 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Elizabeth,
I don't know about dim -- when in doubt, blame the internet! It's working on my computer, but maybe it's a subscription thing that I registered for and don't remember.

Easiest way to see about it is probably to start at www.touchstonemag.com -- the article is called "meet your mocker" and is one of the links near the top of the page.

December 14, 2004 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

E Rica,
Yep, that's what I said!

December 14, 2004 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger E Rica said...

Frederica Matthewes-Green is coming to St. Barney's in February... Maybe you should come down, Grace. *Nudge Nudge Wink Wink*

December 15, 2004 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Hey, that's VERY cool. When is she coming? I may have to see about cashing in some frequent flyer miles or something.

December 16, 2004 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

She is coming February 26. You should definitely think about coming out here, it would be wonderful to see you.

December 17, 2004 at 12:04 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

I'm going to bookmark that date and as we get closer, I'll see what I can do. That would be totally fun. Since I work for myself, sometimes my schedule is flexible enough for jaunts like that, but I'm never sure until I'm a couple weeks out.

December 19, 2004 at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home