Tuesday, December 28, 2004

English blogging

Well so, does this have an English accent? It should, but maybe it will come through stronger if I spell British -- apologise, centre, colour. There! Now you've got it, right?

I'm in an internet cafe in London. This is the much-anticipated 2-week museum and theatre(!) tour, but it got off to a strange start, and I was forced to be much more adventurous than I really had in mind.

I don't know if I explained way back when I first mentioned it that I'm tagging along on a trip that was advertised at the University of Nevada at Reno, and which my metriculating sister instantly loved and talked my mom into. Two weeks in London, seeing many plays (including two Shakespeares and one Andrew Lloyd Weber) and museums (including the Tate and the British Museum). Since I was coming from Kansas City instead of Reno, I was the odd man out, but we made plans to link up once we got to the Queen's country.

As it turned out, I'm here and all of them are still there. Their flight was cancelled, for reasons still unclear, and they won't be here till Tuesday morning.

Now, I wasn't thinking of being intrepid. I was sort of looking forward to being on a packaged tour where I don't have to think. But of course, there was nothing for it. I found the one working ATM out of a bank of duds (hint: look for the long line), and I figured out how to take the tube (that's 'subway' to you colonials) to Paddington Station, which I expected to have a bear in galoshes on the sign. No such luck.

At Paddington Station, things took a decided uptick. I spied a confectionery (Grace's brain: "confectionery" from the root "confectioner" as in powdered sugar = shoppe dispensing sweets) and nearby a stand selling pasties ("pasties" does NOT probably mean the wardrobe of a stripper, but meat and potatoes in a pastry envelope). At that point, being in London all by myself just seemed kind of wonderful, as I sat out at a table watching the trains come and go. Americans have many great qualities, but I don't know how we can consider ourselves a civilized people as long as we don't get chocolate and meat pies right. Chocolate should be milky. Meat pies should be ... well, it's hard to describe exactly. The meat isn't what you would call grade A prime. When they call it steak they're either being whimsical or intentionally misleading. It's sort of like a pot roast that you put a lot of stuff in and serve up very hot so no one can quite tell how old it is. But that's part of its charm really. This was so hot that when I blew on it, it steamed up my glasses. I opted to share tidbits of the crust with a solitary pigeon that was tut-tutting about.

For all I know I was marked as a tourist for all of those actions. For all I know the locals were making the secret hand signal of tourist-disgust for my gaucherie in sitting at the table (the others were unoccupied) or eating the pasty the wrong end up. Maybe the pigeon is right now telling the other pigeons in a clipped David Niven accent that a horrid twit of a girl fed him on the platform against all convention and propriety.

But that's probably why I had to do that part by myself. I assume everyone will know I'm a tourist.The English can spot an American a mile off in the dead of night with one eye closed. When the group gets here tomorrow, the group leader -- who is a frequent traveller -- will try to keep us from standing out. When I come back to the British Isles in May, my husband will give be horrified if he thinks I'm giving away our terrible secret.

But what the heck. I'm American, and they know I'm American, and the meat pasty was really good.

Well, time to log off and try to pretend that I understand how the money works.

23 Comments:

Blogger Philippa said...

My daughter was over in jolly ol' England during her Thanksgiving break. She and three of her girlfriends had a grand time! Looking forward to reading more about your trip.

December 28, 2004 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger Kelvin said...

Hi Grace!
Can you write in an English accent? Kidding... Hope to read more about your trip soon.

Cheers

December 29, 2004 at 2:26 AM  
Blogger The Parson said...

A witty and enjoyable post. Pretty much the norm for you, I think! Have fun, be safe, and keep us 'posted'.

December 29, 2004 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

I suppose the closest I could really come to typing with a British accent is to hit the £ key, which they have where the @ sign is on our keyboards. Or I could do what I was having to do with e-mail for a while and type all my contractions without apostrophes (cant, Ill, doesnt) because I couldn't find them for the longest time. On the nearly ubiquitous but entirely frustrating internet booths, they've got them stuck in a weird place I can't even remember now.

Just as well though. Americans do terrible British accents. We know it; they know it.

January 1, 2005 at 5:18 AM  
Blogger bill naka said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my beach gift related site. It pretty much covers beach gift stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

October 9, 2005 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Barney said...

Very cool blog you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

I have a great article resource you might want to check out.

October 19, 2005 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger NewhampshireMan12 said...

Very nice blog, hard to come by these days,

If you have a chance, can you visit my cold healing sore site

It has all cold sore/herpes stuff.

Thanks

October 20, 2005 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger answer-man said...

related you're sure to find unuiqe and useful. The **Christmas** site

October 21, 2005 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Pat Martin said...

I enjoyed your post. I invite you to Simplify your holiday shopping at our christmas gift basket idea site.

October 22, 2005 at 6:18 PM  
Blogger autocounsel said...

I research my automotive questions 65 corvette

October 23, 2005 at 11:18 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Grace, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on making gift baskets when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. W hile I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for making gift baskets. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about making gift baskets at the site above.

November 4, 2005 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Grace...Wow! While I was searching for info on flower gift basket I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for flower gift basket. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about #KEYWORD##.

November 6, 2005 at 5:26 AM  
Blogger D.C. Bowns said...

Hi Grace, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on basket gift roswell when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. W hile I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for basket gift roswell. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about basket gift roswell at the site above.

November 7, 2005 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Grace...Wow! While I was searching for info on personalized baby gift basket I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for personalized baby gift basket. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about personalized baby gift basket.

November 9, 2005 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Hi Grace, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on flower gift basket when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for flower gift basket. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about flower gift basket at the site above.

November 19, 2005 at 5:23 AM  
Blogger D.C. Bowns said...

Hi there Grace, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on wine and cheese gift basket I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wine and cheese gift basket. Should the need ever arise where you need information on wine and cheese gift basket then drop by for a look.

November 22, 2005 at 4:59 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Hi there Grace, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on new york gift basket I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for new york gift basket. Should the need ever arise where you need information on new york gift basket then drop by for a look.

November 28, 2005 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Hi Grace, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on basket gift roswell I somehow ended up on your page. As your English blogging is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about basket gift roswell, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

December 8, 2005 at 3:10 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Grace, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on flower gift basket when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for flower gift basket. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about flower gift basket at the site above.

December 10, 2005 at 8:14 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Grace, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on flower gift basket, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about flower gift basket.

December 12, 2005 at 12:53 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hi Grace...Wow! While I was searching for info on flower gift basket I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for flower gift basket. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about flower gift basket.

December 16, 2005 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger after-work said...

Exciting blog. Your site was amazing and will be
back again! I never get tired of looking for blogs
just like this one.
Check out the blog site with my cash advance dallas in it!

January 22, 2006 at 6:31 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hi Grace, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on basket gift roswell, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about basket gift roswell.

January 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home