Wednesday, November 03, 2004

November 3

Well now! I know that there are a lot of my brothers and sisters who are either conflicted or downright depressed over these election results, so I'm going to resist the impulse to say "yippee" in all caps. But, y'know, it's been a looonnng darn couple months so I think I get to ... y'know ... yippee

Lots to parse out and lots of info still to trickle in. BTW, here's a fine little map to keep track of the stories as they unfold. And don't forget to take note of what's happening with the gubenatorial and Congressional races, because that's the stuff that will be affecting things more in the immediate future.

I know I'll be treated to a flaying of the following demographics in the mainstream news:
* young voters ("Lazy, do-nothing pups! Why, when I was their age, I'd have voted seven or eight times in one election!!")
* religious people, mostly evangelical Christian. Why do they pick on the evangelicals, do you suppose? They forgot about Catholics? They didn't forget about Orthodox, of course, because they still don't know we're here. But considering the blame-game they want to play, I'm just as glad to escape notice.
* non-urban voters, which is increasingly coming to mean "in-bred, unschooled imbeciles" to blue-staters.
* conservatives -- blah blah blah. Nothing new there.

So in the end, was this the important do-or-die election that it was supposed to be? IMHO, yes, it was. I still maintain that the fever pitch of pure bile that was being spewed into the Democratic Party by left-wingers is what begged an answer from the American people. Not because of Bush or Kerry, but because of what the left's radical elements made of this race. It was obvious that they were demanding vindication of an entire laundry list of left-of-center agenda with this one fell swoop. They gambled big-time ...

... and now they've lost big-time. Presidency, House, Senate -- including the first Senate leader to be voted out in a half century. I don't think the Democratic Party should dry up and blow away -- and in spite of what a hot-head I sound like sometimes, I don't even want that to happen -- but I do think they need to stop kidding themselves. They need to re-invent themselves. They can't keep preaching a lot of things that haven't worked in sixty years and then try to force them on people by a combination of class warfare and petty moralizing. They need to stop thinking that shaking people up is the same thing as inspiring or convincing them.

But I know my take on it is always going to sound like I'm just going for more shots, so I'll leave it at that.

Couple happy surprises out of the election:
* I thought Kerry showed real style to concede without putting the country through weeks of nasty, chad-counting baloney. I'll be honest -- I didn't think he had it in him. But maybe Garry Trudeau did, judging from today's "Doonesbury", which of course he penned weeks ago without knowing how things would go. A day when I agree with Garry Trudeau. The age of miracles is upon us for sure!
* An answer to prayer. Here's my wish from mid-October:
If I can end with one faint conciliatory note, can we please all agree to pray very, VERY hard on Election Day that whatever the results are, they would be decisive? Even if I have to live with President Kerry for four years, I don't want a replay of the 2000 election.

Definitely one of the places where spirituality trumps partisanship. I don't see how anything good could come from a repeat of the weeks of contentiousness after November 2, 2000. I know it sounds like more gloating to be so incredibly pleased that the popular vote was as high as it was, and I'll never know if I really would have been okay with it if Kerry had won, but in any case, I'm so very grateful to everyone that turned out and did their bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home