Friday, October 08, 2004

Debate difficulties

I'm still not sure whether I'm going to watch the debate tonight or not. It's pretty grueling really, and it makes for a real edgy 90 minutes, especially since this one features Real People (or nearly. Remember that lunkhead in 2000 with the ponytail who told the candidates to treat us all like children?).

There are two main threats to my health if I decide to watch:

* Bush Hoarseness -- If he doesn't pull it together better than he did last time, I'll lose my voice shouting hints to the TV screen. ("We didn't have the armor for the troops because HE DIDN'T VOTE FOR IT! TELL HIM THAT!!" "His RECORD! TALK ABOUT HIS STINKIN' RECORD!!") This debate is even further away from me than the last one, so I don't think there's any possiblity he'll be able to hear me.

* Kerry Brain-fever -- Trying to figure out what he just said will put you in a sort of weird insensate fog after a while. Example: yesterday reporters asked Kerry if he thought he would commit more troops. Is that hard? It's a yes or no question. Even given some need for nuance and not wanting to commit yourself, it still shouldn't be more than a sentence or two. Here's some of what Kerry responded:
I will do what the generals believe we need to do without having any chilling effect, as the president put in place by firing General Shinseki, [this is a lie, by the way, but it's one of Kerry's favorite lies so we won't see an end to it soon] and I'll have to wait until January 20th. I don't know what I am going to find on January 20th, ... Now, I just don't know. I can't tell you. What I'll tell you is, I have a plan. I have laid out my plan to America, and I know that my plan has a better chance of working. And in the next days I am going to say more about exactly how we are going to do what has been available to this Administration that it has chosen not to do. But I will make certain that our troops are protected. I will hunt down and kill the terrorists, and I will make sure that we are successful, and I know exactly what I am going to do and how to do it.


Well, um, glad to hear it, but WE don't know exactly what you're going to do and just telling us that you do has worn pretty darn thin. And by the way, if you really had laid out your plan to America, you WOULDN'T STILL HAVE REPORTERS ASKING YOU QUESTIONS LIKE THIS!!!

(cough, cough) Excuse me, I think I need to get some more cough drops. I've been buying them in bulk these days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl Thienes said...

Well, I watched it.

Bush was *far* better in this one than the first. A few missed opportunties, but on the whole a strong performance.

October 8, 2004 at 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home