Saturday, October 30, 2004

And Boston and Newport

Not a long post, but I just feel like I should wind up the report at sea. I won't be at sea much longer. We sail back to New York Harbor and tomorrow morning it's back to the real world.

Well, so to speak. Getting in to New York City just in time for Halloween may not qualify us for the real world. Maybe it's just our way-station.

I'm ready to be done. This morning I had the strong feeling that I was just plain overdosing on all the good stuff, idle time and PEOPLE. When you think of it, it's exactly the opposite of the environment that monastics need. I'm far from being monastic, but I feel a sort of melancholy that's totally out of place in a situation where your every need is being anticipated and provided (or over-provided) for.

But that's not to take anything away from the last two ports:
* Boston was a lot of fun. We got onto a tour-trolley thing, and I think that's the only way you could possibly do Boston justice. It's too big to walk around and it's not really made for foot traffic. The automotive traffic was pretty awful, owing to the influx of people for the parade that I suppose went on today, but that's why you want it to be someone else's problem. And our tour guides, besides having the best Cliff Claven accent a person could ask for, were rock-steady with the traffic mayhem and gave fascinating details. (Did you know that in 1919 a tank full of molasses exploded in Boston and killed 21 people?) Boston has a wealth of history that is really overwhelming. This was my second trip there, and I anticipate another three or four before I feel like I'll be done ogling over the landmarks.

* Newport, Rhode Island -- well, that was another story. The weather kind of tanked on us, turning from damp to drizzley to rainy. And I goofed on the time of our excursion, so we were just left to our own devices. But I don't mean to say it was a waste. Actually, the short time that Greg and I were actually looking about just made it obvious to both of us that there's actually so much to see and do in Newport that we'll have to make our own trip back here. It is Old Money that didn't fall on hard times, and the "cottages" -- absolutely incredible summer home mansions of the well-to-do -- have to be seen to be believed. We toured one of them -- The Elms -- and I'm still thinking about it. Might be another blog entry in there somewhere.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lucifer said...

Very cool blog you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

I have a great article resource you might want to check out.

October 18, 2005 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger wbrant said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a exchange interactive traffic site. It pretty much covers exchange interactive traffic related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 20, 2005 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger accordion-5061B4 said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about Dogs Chocolate
. You can check it out at Dogs Chocolate


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

October 26, 2005 at 12:36 AM  
Blogger Iravan said...

I would argue that Exit Traffic is actually one of the best forms of traffic generation. I am going to book mark this blog, nice topics discussed

By the way... I have a traffic cone site. It pretty much covers Traffic related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 26, 2005 at 3:35 AM  
Blogger Erik Mann said...

Hi - I trained in judo and karate for many years. I was looking for blogs having to do with judo and came across yours. Nice blog. I have my own have my own mixed style school now that offers most of the traditional judo techniques. Come have a look at it if you want.

October 26, 2005 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 29, 2005 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger startonline said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! Keep up the great work, and I'll be sure to visit regularly.

I have a earn a degree online related site, check it out if you get some time!

Look forward to reading more of your insightful post!

October 29, 2005 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Infactahost.com said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a web site promotion ranking marketing site/blog. It pretty much covers web site promotion ranking marketing related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

November 1, 2005 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a effective internet advertising site/blog. It pretty much covers effective internet advertising related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

November 5, 2005 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Credit Center said...

Hi, Thanks for your interesting blog. Keep up the great work! I also have a site & blog about credit cards for bad credit, please feel free to visit.

December 28, 2005 at 4:48 AM  
Blogger Ksavier said...

Mamuśki wspaniałe i gorące! Wejdź dalej
i oglądaj dojrzałe mamuski nago
mamuśki! Są niesamowite i zawsze
darmowe mamuski
napalone! Mamuśki to extra wrażenia! Prezentujemy
dojrzałe mamuski i
napalone mamuski
darmowe próbki tego co zobaczysz w środku! Chcą ssać,lizać i pieścić
mamuski nago
stojące pały! Ahh..te dojrzałe lale
starsze mamuski

July 28, 2006 at 2:42 AM  
Blogger Roberto Iza said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 4, 2007 at 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home