Thursday, September 30, 2004

Well phooey

All right, I'll be totally honest, though it kills me. Bush just plain didn't do as well in this first debate as Kerry did. I'm not sure why Bush seemed so flustered. He looked like he was getting steamed up over some of what Kerry was saying, and I thought he missed all kinds of opportunities to state his case better and really point out problems with Kerry's points. Looking at other blogs and listening to TV spin, it seems like that's about the consensus. I'll also be honest and admit that I didn't have the nerve to go find liberal sites and blogs and see if they were doing the happy dance. Probably they are.

Two thoughts:
* To be honest, if Kerry had been this guy a couple months ago, I wouldn't have that much trouble about the thought of him winning. But where has this cool-headed, informed and somewhat consistent Kerry been hiding out? He represented his positions so well in this debate that the conservative bloggers and talking heads are stuck with repeating old sound bytes ("voted for the war, before I voted against it") and making the arguments that Bush should have made better. Viewers that were paying very close attention might have noticed that Kerry reversed himself just in the course of the debate regarding whether Saddam was or wasn't a threat ... but people probably weren't paying that close attention.

* My guess of the sound bytes that get lifted: (1) Liberals will just love that Bush pronounced the word 'mullas' like 'moolahs' not once but twice, and almost said 'messed mixages' once -- oy vey. (2) Conservatives will be talking about Kerry saying that America ought to pass 'the global test' in considering our national defense. Who knows what Kerry meant exactly by that, but it's just the type of 'we just want to be popular' type of thing that people hate to hear from a Democrat, especially one that has seemed soft on terror.

4 Comments:

Blogger E Rica said...

Hey Mrs. Brooks!

I have been been checking out your blog for a little while and I find it really interesting. :) I admire the way you can state your opinions in an almost neutral and understanding way.

By the way, this is Erica Olson from St. Barnabas. Perhaps you remember a little redheaded girl with the baptism known as "The Great Struggle?" That would be me.

I have my own blog now, come check it out if you have time, www.randomthoughtsofaredhead.blogspot.com

It's more of a humor blog...so come to it if you need a laugh.

October 1, 2004 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Omigosh! I just can't believe all the St. B blog-heads!

Of course I remember you. Are you going to tell me you don't owe your deep abiding faith to my peerless Sunday school work. (Ugh. Kidding. I'm surprised all of you aren't Buddhist.)

Thanks for the good words, especially about neutrality. I'm just getting started at this, and there are a lot of times when I think I'm probably not doing it right.

I'll check out your site. Sorry I missed it before. I was using the list that Karl has at his site.

October 1, 2004 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger unixlinux said...

Nice blog. Check out my arizona wild cat blog.

October 18, 2005 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger after-dark said...

Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
finding blogs as good as your site.
Search for my quick cash advance loan blog, it will leave you speechless.

January 18, 2006 at 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home