Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Festal troparion

Since I had to pass along some sadness in the "Troparion of the day" post, I thought it was the least I could do to tack on a happy addendum.

When I got back from vacation yesterday, an e-mail was waiting for me from the choir director at what will be my new church:

"... I think I'm it for this evening's Vesperal Liturgy... I’ll look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow evening, then, for our monthly rehearsal ... What I really need to find out though, is your availability for the fall retreat ... There will be a festive nature to the singing, as we will start looking ahead at the Nativity music."



Vesperal liturgy? Rehearsal? Nativity music? Praise be, I'm in the Orthodox Church again!

Here's the troparion of the feast:
Your nativity, O Virgin, has proclaimed joy to the whole universe! The Sun of Righteousness, Christ our God, has shone from you, O Theotokos. By annulling the curse, He bestowed a blessing. By destroying death, He has granted us eternal life.

And, even though it's about a week into the Orthodox year, I thought the kontakion from the indiction was meaningful:
O Creator and Master of time and the ages, triune and merciful God of all, grant blessings for the course of this year, and in Your boundless mercy save those who worship You and cry out in fear: O Savior, grant blessings to all mankind!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home