Saturday, August 28, 2004

Blog flog: Thoughts of a neophyte

Hey, unsolicited testimonial! Karl gave me a comment: Nice blog.

Good to hear, naturally, but I still showed what a newbie I am: I snickered. I'm sorry. I want to be good, but "blog" is still a funny word to me. Imagine if technology ever brought together a million wonderful miracles so that someone could tell you, "Hey, congrats on the glorf," or "Good job on your garkle."

As long as I'm in the mood to be honest, I'll say that when I approach these, I find that my tone goes back and forth. Am I being personal or general? Somber or funny? Should I consider an audience or do them just for myself?

I think that I package the thoughts more succinctly than I would if it were just for myself -- which is good. I think I also try to dress them up more -- which probably isn't such a good idea. And then I toss them into a space that I can't possibly understand, like tossing pebbles into a deep, deep well. Sometimes you hear a little 'kerplunk' of one going home; often not. You imagine that they would be capable of making great ripples; you have to live with the fact that they probably never will. It's a 21st century way of putting a note in a bottle and tossing it into the ocean. So at the same time that you can say whatever you want however you want in as much time as you'd want ... you still can't be unmindful of what impact it might have, and yet understand that it might never have any at all.

It's an interesting form of ... what? entertainment? communication? therapy?

Andy Warhol is famous for saying that in the future everyone would be famous for 15 minutes. When someone asked him about that comment about 20 years later, the only alteration he made is that he would shorten the time to 10 minutes. Blogging seems like everyone in the world being famous for about 14 seconds.

But I'll try to stop laughing at the word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home